The musty odor observed at the place ofmold contamination


Asmolds are omnipresent, it’s indeed difficult to avoid exposure tomolds. Molds, mildews, fungus and injurious microscopic organisms areeverywhere. Like all other members of ecosystem, molds and mildewsare vital for maintaining environmental balance. By decomposingorganic matters into sim

.

Asmolds are omnipresent, it’s indeed difficult to avoid exposure tomolds. Molds, mildews, fungus and injurious microscopic organisms areeverywhere. Like all other members of ecosystem, molds and mildewsare vital for maintaining environmental balance. By decomposingorganic matters into simple hydrocarbons they continue the carbon andenergy circulation through out the food chain. Earth without molds,fungi and other such organisms would become hard to live. Moldbodies do not contain chlorophyll. They depend on dead organicmatters for food. While collecting nutrition they decompose complexorganic matters into simple form of hydrocarbons. Thus they performtheir own quota of responsibility for the ecosystem.But,when these molds contaminate indoor environment they China tool maker becometroublesome.

 

Being primitive organism, molds and mildews reproduce byreleasing spores. High density of mold spores in air leads to healthproblems. Apart from this, some toxic black molds produce mycotoxinswhich are injurious for human health. Molds, mold spores andmycotoxins create severe health issues.AllergicReactions:Molds,spores, hyphal and mycelial sections are allergens, i.e., human bodyshows allergic responses to these components. Like any other antigen,when mold spores, hyphal or, mycelial parts enter into our system;the body releases antibodies to protect the infection. Notall people react to molds and mold spores. Also, the amount of moldfragment that causes allergy is not fixed for all. Some people arehypersensitive to foreign particles. Even some subjects are allergicto pollens too. Oversensitive people should always try to avoidexposure to molds. Symptoms of mold allergy are watery eyes, puffingaround eyes, irritation of throat, runny noses, extreme coughing andsneezing, asthma and more.Somemolds may lead to skin rashes and dermal infections. Dry skin, feet,nails are prone to such molds.OpportunisticInfections:Peoplewith healthy immune system are not vulnerable to such infections.However, those with compromised immune system suffer a lot as theyhave lesser ability to fight against infections. Hence,immunocompromised people need better protection against blackmold and mildews. Diseaseslike AIDS, cancer fall under this category. HIV does a lot of harm toimmune system. Chemotherapy, immunosuppressive drugs also lead toimpaired immune system. People undergoing similar treatment needspecial care and should avoid mold infection at any cost. ToxicEffects:Moldsand mildews produce both volatile and non-volatile compounds whichcause the environment toxic. The musty odor observed at the place ofmold contamination is due to these compounds. Such compounds producedby foodborne molds cause the unpleasant taste and smell incontaminated foods.Mycotoxins,non-volatile compound, are produced by molds during their metabolism.

Mycotoxins spread through out the mold colony including the substrateon which it has grown. Spores released from toxic mold colonies,fragments of toxic black mold when aerosolized, chances of toxicinfection become higher. Amongvarious reactions of mycotoxins, flu like symptoms, throatirritation, headache, diarrhea, fatigue, cough, dermatitis and skinrash, malfunctioning of immune system are few to name. Preventivemeasures:Blackmold and mildews cannot grow without moisture. Keeping buildingenvironment dry prevents indoor mold growth. However, if they growanyway, remove molds with naturalcleaning products. Allpeople are not allergic to molds. Those who are hypersensitive shouldcarefully avoid exposure to molds. Keeping home, office and otherindoor environments clean and dry helps to prevent mold growth.